This morning I saw my cousin in the library. He said,
"The first thing I think when I wake up is why do I have to be here? This place is Hell"
I said to my cousin, "That's the second thing I think when I wake up. The first is Gratitude. Thank you God for another day, although it is in hell."
Walking to African American literature a wizardly old man engages me in conversation. He is forceful yet not to the point of perturbation. I note how political correctness erodes with age when he speaks.
"What year are you?"
"Freshman"
"What's your major?"
"Black Studies.." (as I consciously note that it's placement in the sentence is indicative of it's importance to me)..and English"
"Good majors. I used to take classes with your brothers. I used to be in the Navy with your brothers."
My initial reaction was to correct his word choice. "I firmly believe it's 'Our' brothers, not 'your' brothers", I would like to have said. The language of our/your, us/them perpetuates differences that hinder people from empathizing with others. Sure it sounds romantic but words are thoughts, thoughts are words, and words and thoughts become actions. However, I felt it was more important to hear what he was saying before I jumped the PC gun. So I listened.
He goes on to give me advice about transferring. About actually visiting other schools and not just taking tours, but asking around. Contact students and departments, see what it is really like. No administration, postcards, brochures, rankings, or websites. Granted these were all things I have been already thinking, it was refreshing to hear my consciousness outside of my own body, twice in a day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment