
I've been working on a documentary on the rezoning of Willets Point.

It's an industrial area next to Shea Stadium/CitiField

Consequently it's being gentrified in order to give Mets fans a nice place to enjoy capitalism.
There is a lot to say about it, and the whole process of gentrification.

For starters, it's happening everywhere.
I knew Williamsburg has been gone for quite some time, and that Harlem is getting it hard now, but I've never seen anything like this:

Lakes form in the middle of the streets of New York City?
It's a simple process.
- First, deny an area public municipalities such as adequate sewage control, trash collection, or plowing services for ten years.
- Then as it slowly deteriorates label the area "blighted" and then speculate an "urban renewal" plan with private developers.
- If the citizens are not satisfied with the compensation offered to displace them from their neighborhoods and history, threaten to use eminent domain and take it away anyway.
- Bonus: If the area is anything like Willets Point, you won't have to compensate over 70% of the local property owners because they are undocumented and have no legal protection. Zing.

Despite the language barriers we've been hearing the many voices of Willets Point.
I'd like to say something inspirational, hopeful, or positive about the situation.
I'd really like to.



P.S. I love you and miss you.
Bloc Party, 'This Modern Love' - A Take Away Show from La Blogotheque on Vimeo.

1 comment:
great pictures. say something.
Post a Comment