Many express shock, incredulity, or encouragement towards me for deleting my facebook.
Thank you. Any emotional response helps me realize that I do actually have friends and loved ones aware of my whereabouts out there.
So before I take the big leap, -sarcasm here, i'm going to reel of some reasons why I am weaning off fb.
First and most scariest: I am becoming massively illiterate.
Seriously. I can not write for shit anymore. Spell check has become a major crutch for me, and I am totally unsatisfied with where I am when it comes to writing with pen and paper. SO FRUSTRATING.
I need to limit myself to formats/venues for communication that require some sense of grammatical cohesion i.e. email, letter writing, blogging. This is a start. I don't think I even remember what constitutes a complete sentence. Shame.
Second: I am seriously digging the task of developing a Harlem music/activist/art scene. As I told my comrade Gary from Vision Through Sound. I think taking on this mission without facebook is like playing a video game on the hardest difficult level. I think this will make whatever progress or failures I encounter all the more satisfying. It's about process, not end product right? That's movement.
Third: I have not taken/uploaded any photographs of my artwork since summer. I think this leap out of fb will help me concentrate my energy in to revitalizing my flickr.
Fourth: I never record my academic thoughts outside of school anymore. Shame. I should start airing my thoughts on culture, memory, and Blackness for an audience besides my fellow scholars/people I talk shit with. Please feel free to criticize the shit out of anything I say. I need that. Too many nods, not enough what ifs? I'm trying to go to grad school here?
In other news,
I'm pretty sure I have ADD. Will be getting this checked soon. Sure would explain a lot..
love always,
win
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Sound productivity shall ensue,which sounds great. Good luck with all the plans.
I think this will be really good. You will be missed, I'm sure.
It's pretty insane though how facebook has become such a main means of communication.
You are on to something, and if you will be able to focus more and DO more that way, then by all means, go ahead.
Also, our generation may be loosing grand time. That does worry me.
But you are making a really good decision. I hope all goes well. And Winston, please do not loose that drive. The world needs more people that actually want to do things, and not just talk, but do them.
It will be a sad,sad day Winny.
I will miss leavingthe randomness on your wall or checking in.
But I see how this change can help you for the better.
I hope this journey is a beneficial one for ya :)
Post a Comment